Dental fillings mainly fill cavities caused due to tooth decay. Apart from filling cavities, they are also used to reshape teeth, treat cracked or broken teeth, restore chipped teeth, eliminate the excessive gaps between teeth, etc. This makes them highly sought-after, along with several other advantages that they offer.
Why should you choose dental fillings?
- Fillings made from the ceramic or composite resin can be customized to match the exact appearance of the natural enamel. Its color, texture, transparency, and contour can be mimicked with the natural teeth.
- The procedure for placing fillings is very simple. It doesn’t take more than a single visit for most cases.
- Composite fillings offer excellent sealing properties. They wouldn’t allow the microbes in the mouth to enter the cavity and cause reinfection.
- Composite fillings can be shaped as required. This makes them the go-to solution to reshape naturally misshapen or chipped teeth.
- The preparation of the tooth before applying the filling is minimal. The tooth need not be buffed to remove a layer of enamel, as in the case of most other oral restorations.
The dentist will diagnose the condition of your tooth visually. If any tartar deposits or tooth decay is present on the teeth, it will be removed by scaling it. The dentist uses an ultrasonic scaling device for the purpose, which vibrates at ultrasonic frequencies to dislodge the adhered microbial deposits. The tooth surface receiving the filling will be etched using a suitable etching solution.
The dentist prepares the filling material by matching it with the color of the tooth. It will be placed on the etched surface and shaped accordingly. The filling will be hardened using a curing light, after which the dentist polishes it to match the exact luster of the teeth.
Please schedule an online appointment or call us at (773) 374-9778 for Chicago and (708) 914-4381 for Homewood to have a consultation with Dr. Moore, and we will be happy to help.